View Single Post
Old 05.11.2014, 12:24 AM   #18014
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
The usual stuff.

More serious answer: I really didn't get that at all - funnily enough, I've had this argument elsewhere at the other place, and someone said (accurately) that this is a real Marmite film. As much as I appreciate other people liking this one, I simply can't work up the enthusiasm to have to sit through it again to give it another go. And the sci-fi element could have been much better put across, too, I feel.

I loved, loved "Under the Skin". I don't kow if the metaphors are THAT deep... really it was just Glazer paring down a sci-fi novel into its base form: alien sent to earth to destry/emulate human beings and ends up sympathizing and trying to be one. This has been the staple of sci-fi for years. The music... zombie-like performances and especially the rationalization of Johansson's "handlers" being these motorcycle meat heads was pretty amazing IMO. And Glazer has a perfect sense of mise-en-scene. Just watch the scene where the alien picks up one "unique" traveler, and the red blinking tail light just barely registers his face outside the van and we realize something is not right. Interesting this is basically the impetus that sort of forces Johansson's alien charachter to change her mind about her mission.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|