View Single Post
Old 02.16.2009, 07:59 PM   #92
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
"Bad" is such a subjective thing though. I don't particularly like "Hits of Sunshine" because I just find the whole hippie trip Thurston was on with it a bit too cheesy and don't really think it's a very fitting tribute to Ginsberg who to me is about a whole lot more than acid. However, I wouldn't say it's a "bad" song. If somebody else finds listening to it a fulfilling experience, more power to them. I'm even mildly envious that they are enjoying a song I can't get into.

That's one my favourite Sonic Youth songs, which I find a bit odd 'cause it's one of their most 'straight' numbers. I agree with the whole 'overall feel' about this record, whereas EJSTNS' strength for me comes from the very fact that it feels like such a fragmented album, with songs being able to sustain their own worth by themselves. Up until 'Sonic Nurse' I always felt like all their records worked as some sort of narrative that unfolded with each record, and then I was badly let down when that one came out, which sounded like a dull chapter in the whole story.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|