View Single Post
Old 12.26.2016, 11:30 AM   #50
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

3)Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future by Underworld
Underworld are one of this bands I knew Born Slippy and that's it. However, I'd heard great stuff about this album so gave it a whirl. It's worth being on the list for the first track alone.

Yeah. Agree. That first track is just amazing. Not groundbreaking (it's Underworld, y'know... we've been there) but just really goddamn good. Something about this album appealed to the starved, atrophied, little space-rock fan in me, who's had precious little to feed on in the past few years.

Quote:
6)Arrival Soundtrack by Johann Johannsson
I'm a big fan of movie soundtracks and this one was just something else. I loved the film, but the music was just something else. Sci-fi has been going through a resurgence the last few years and their soundtracks have always been first rate to match.

Hey, have you heard Mica Levi's phenomenal dark ambient soundtrack to Jonathan Glazer's film Under the Skin? Great film, great sci-fi, great soundtrack. I highly recommend it if you're into scores, especially bleepy/scratchy/bloopy ones.

Quote:
8)You Want It Darker by Leonard Cohen
Like Blackstar it's impossible to not have your listening affected post death. His voice never sounded sexier than it did on this album either.

Yeah, I think this is my favorite by Cohen. It didn't come out early enough in the year for me to really soak it in, but he kills it on this album.

Quote:
9)The Life Of Pablo by Kanye West
I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with this album. When it's good, it's really good, however one too many filler tracks spoil the listening of the album. However for me, the ups and downs of the album sum up Kanye's state of mind atm.

It's all over the place. It took me a while to be able to listen to it straight through, even though I really did listen to it every day for months. I skipped over the "filler" tracks early on (at the time, I thought of "Freestyle 4," "I Love Kanye" and "Facts" as filler) but now I love it all, and listening to it from start to finish is never anything short of amazing. William Toldeo nailed it when he said the album was built on its transitions. One song necessesitates the next. I even love "Freestyle 4" since seeing it live. Real banger that. And emotionally it's just so rich, filled with the contradictions and conflicting feelings of real life. Powerful stuff. Heaven and hell shit.

It's Kanye's White Album. Said it before, will say it again.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|