View Single Post
Old 06.12.2009, 06:09 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Well by expensive, I mean, they use third party ones. From what I've heard, Lee's wide-range pickups are like the originals, where-as the new ones that they use on shit aren't as good.

But anyways, I don't care. I'm happy with my current guitars!In fact I could probably go down to 3 electrics from the 6 I have, as much as it pains me to say.

in Thurson's:

Enlarge Image

Seymour Duncan model 11014-01 Humbucker, Neck

Seymour made this Antiquity™ model to look and sound like a well-worn '50s humbucker as originally designed by Seth E. Lover. The pickups are built to traditional standards. Each has its own character and DC resistance, just like the originals. He wanted to give the player a pickup that looks like it's been played regularly for 40 years, so he aged the nickel silver cover and the poles. Included is a front-tapered mounting ring and the screws that go with it. The pickup is not wax potted, which retains the vintage sound and appearance. Crafted by hand in Seymour's "Antiquity" room, each pickup is signed on the magnet and bottom plate to guarantee you are getting an original Seymour W. Duncan Antiquity™.
$117.95

and in Lee's

"Fender revoiced and improved wide-range humbuckers" (i.e., from the early 1970s reissues)

Both label it as stream-lined electronics but that doesn't necessarily imply 'expensive' pots, switches, wiring, jacks and capacitors , which could all just be mid-grade fender parts. as I said, you generally have to buy the upgrades yourself to get nice wiring, that's what I do with my guitars.

If these things cost under a $1000 you can bet that fender skimped on the wiring which is the veins and arteries of guitars, though if they are in the range of the Mascis pricing, then the Thurston guitar is actually not a bad deal with those Antiquities, they can be pricey for a pair..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|