View Single Post
Old 09.03.2016, 09:42 AM   #19463
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I never liked it, mainly because I couldn't stand Hulce's bratty performance. I think I heard somewhere that Polanski was meant to direct it, with him playing Mozart (as he did in the original stage version). That may have worked far better. It's weird though because if there's one thing I'd say about all the Forman films I've seen besides Amadeus is that whatever I've thought about them generally, the acting's usually been great. But Hulce was a directorial decision that backfired massively for me.

hulce worked for me even if i never heard of, or saw him, or noticed him after that. so maybe he's not a great actor. but the brattiness worked for this role because the whole point was to show how easily things came to him, and by contrast how hard they were for salieri. it's supposed to be grating. it's salieri's point of view.

i mean, in spite of the title, the movie is really about salieri--his envy, jealousy, frustration and growing hate. the movie opens and closes with him, and he's the one who tells the story-- we see through his eyes. mozart is almost a plot element rather than a character proper, salieri is the real human being that we follow here into his torment--so the best actor is put in this role. salieri absolutely loves mozart's music but hates him as a person. so... it's absolutely not wrong to hate hulce here. i think we're meant to.

eta:
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Well starting from the principle that no film is objectively good or bad,
i think this wasn't there when i first answered, but yeah--

also, i just looked up hulce's career and he became famous for his role in... animal house! that cant have been missed in his casting
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|