View Single Post
Old 07.30.2017, 09:52 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
They definitely changed, but I heard them from the beginning on (they got tons of exposure on college radio in my area when they were new )and always had an allergic reaction to their whole thing. Clearly they did fine without my support though.

To me, they were the best band in the world for a while. Modest Mouse in 1997 was a mighty fucking thing indeed. And I actually think early on, their live performances of the This is a Long Drive... stuff we're superior to the actual record, because they were kind of nuts, and played with a volatile sloppy punk energy that still hit the right notes.

Moon & Antarctica was a behemoth too. Seeing them play "The Stars are Projectors" was fucking electrifying. It was like they were putting every other Pacific Northwest band on notice, and saying, "Yeah, we're on Epic now, but we still own you. We DARE you to try for something like this." And for a while, they ruled. In my opinion, they put most other bands to shame both on and off record.

Then of course they started to suck in ways nobody could have possibly predicted, and they never stopped sucking. STILL — for a while, they had everyone hanging by the nuts.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|