View Single Post
Old 01.19.2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Another comment from Bill Orcutt:
K- Don't want to give the impression I didn't like Edwin's review (I loved it in fact), but Chris has a point- if a review name checks Fahey, Gould, Bailey, Taylor, Montoya, McDowell, etc then a sensible reader might expect some kind of Folk/Flamenco/Avant-Garde/Delta Blues/Baroque/Piano hybrid which "New Way" is definitely not.

Personally I don't think Edwin was using "influence" in that literal-minded way though- influence and imitation aren't the same thing. Cecil Taylor's claims Ellington as core influence though you'd be hard-pressed to find evidence of it in his music (hasn't stopped some critics from trying). He claims dancers and structural engineers as influences too- how are you going to verify that?

Similarly Bailey talked about Webern's importance for him, but I doubt most of the folks connected with Webern's music (thinking of Pierre Boulez here) would have any use at all for Derek Bailey and would probably dismiss any connection out of hand.

Anyway my 2¢ - gotta get the kids off to school...
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|