View Single Post
Old 06.22.2006, 09:16 PM   #160
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Spark
The first impression (post-limewire, it's top of my shopping list) is that there's no real standout track but then there's no Lightning either, maybe the following song-by-song ratings will be a better judge:

Reena....7/10
Incinerate....8/10
Do you believe in Rapture....8/10
Sleepin Around....6/10
What a Waste....5/10
Jams Run Free....6/10
Rats....9/10
Turquoise Boy....7/10
Lights Out....8/10
The Neutral....9/10
Pink Steam....8/10
Or....7/10
Helen Lundeberg....6/10

It's been a while since i've listened to ANY muysic though due to illness, so maybe my judgement's clouded. Rats is AMAZING but i've listened to the album on and off on loop for the last 20hours and nothing jumps out at me, however there's no weaknesses, no songs in the same league as Radiohead's 'Fitter, Happier' or SY's own Lightning....contrary to the ratings of insanity, the jury's still out on this one i'm afraid....

Good post! Not a bad rating for them; though I don't really like Rapture and Or that much, and I love Jams Run Free. The ongoing mistake people make is comparing it to everything else Sonic Youth produced. Sure you can say "I like it better than so and so album" but I dislike it when people state "This album sucks because it's not as good as Daydream Nation". When I listen to an album, I do both:

-Assuming I know nothing of the artist and see how I like I like the album
-Listen to it in relation to all the artist's other albums

Really, it's all about what sounds good to the ears.