View Single Post
Old 01.07.2013, 10:54 AM   #3
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I think I remember seeing the crybaby wah on her effets floor, some live vids from that DDN/Goo era indicate this... i can hear it on Total Trash, it was probably more of a "live" effect than something used in the studio for recordings.

Since we are on the subject...

What throws me for more of a loop is that on the gear page, an MXR blue box is listed as one of Thurston's effects during DDN era... to me that seems very unlikely because i don't believe thurston started using effects pedals until Goo, from all the footage i've seen up til DDN he strictly used amp overdrive/distortion and no pedals. The blue box has a very distinctive tone and sound, nothing on DDN indicates it was used on that recording, maybe live for noise parts but i don't see any vid documentation to indicate that.

Maybe i'm wrong but i don't think he started using a blue box until after Washing Machine and just prior to the first SYRs and ATL...

I'm also curious as to what Lee and Thurston were using effects-wise on Dirty, for Goo Thurston indicates he was using some wah/fuzz???, proco turbo rat and a DOD classic fuzz in Guitar Player magazine circa 1990.

I'm assuming on EJST&NS (according to the Table of The Elements Starfield Wild 7", the same guitar track used in Starfield Road, it lists the equipment...) Thurston used a Proc Turbo Rat, Sovtek Big Muff, Mutron Wah/Vol and either the Ludwig Phase II Synthesizer or a Mutron Phasor (it states a Phasertron, but as far as I know there is no such effect with that name), i didn't think they started using the Ludwig Synth until Washing Machine. Dirty is heavy and it sounds like Big Muffs are there but something tells me its just stacked Proco Turbo Rats and the big Butch Vig post-mixing sound, however the outtakes which were recorded by the band also sound very beefy.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|