View Single Post
Old 02.24.2014, 01:43 PM   #17755
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
watched a bunch of things this weekend…

THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP

i love watching michel gondry's movies because it's like getting inside the mind of a very imaginative child with awesome toys. having said that, i didn't like his main character too much because of his arrested development condition. i laughed a bit when i heard it was all autobiographical (in a way). poor guy! but a fun movie. first time i see charlotte gainsbourg, she has her dad's face and her mom's body and hairdo.

--

THE DAMN UNITED

i liked it, but this one needed to restore some deleted scenes, because the final print is incomprehensible without them. i wish they had the "extended version" option on the disc because what the fuck was that man doing in his office during the game? had he been sent off by the ref? was he shitting his pants? no? jeezus… fucking incomprehensible. good story and good characters (even though i understand much was fictionalized), and there's an extra on the disc about "the changing game" which as a nice addition.

LIFE OF PI

gorgeous, visually, and amazing story, i just didn't like the whole religious angle which is supposedly the backbone of the whole thing, but still, what a spectacle, fucking wow. only weird thing was looking at his CGI uncle with the weird body, the way his face moved was creepy as fuck. as for the rest, jeezus, tremendous visuals.

TREASURES IV: DISC 2

an unmitigated borefest. 11 minutes of fog moving off a hill "to teach us how to see" (thanks, professor). a fast-forward tour of new york in the 60s. some lady in a hammock, and jack smith making faces or giving a blow job to a balloon. the unlistenable "music" of angus maclise. a drag queen giving a blow job to a banana (more obvious please). 9 minutes of people in an escalator (clever-- but 9 minutes!?!?). 36 minutes of some other thing i decided to skip because no avant-garde anything should last 36 minutes (ha ha, no, i didn't have time to watch it and just wanted the next movie in the queue sent).

the singular wonderful exception to all this nonsense was george kuchar's I, AN ACTRESS, which had us laughing hard and we watched twice. george kuchar was indeed an amazing actress!

there was also the first segment of ken jacobs's "little stabs at happiness" featuring jack smith, which was pretty great and disturbing, but then he has to keep adding more and more segments and boring footage until you just want to kill him.

one thing i noticed in all or most of these people or at least a lot of them they were ivy league dropouts. correlation or causation?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|