View Single Post
Old 06.20.2008, 01:04 PM   #14
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm slowly coming to think that Argento is among the most overrated filmmakers there is. I like bits of lots of his films but haven't yet seen one which is good throughout.

I think that, in terms of his overall career, he's made a few decent films followed by a whole bunch of godawful super-size turkeys. I didn't like "Opera" at all, and the whole point of "The Stendhal Syndrome" seemed, well, pointless. As for his "classic period", I personally do like a lot of this, but will admit that a lot of that comes from Argento's sense of art direction, which although not original (taking a lot of his cues from Mario Bava), still is striking and very "painterly", in a way. I have to admit that directing actors is not one of Argento's stronger points - look at Michael Brandon's rather wooden performance in "Four Flies On Grey Velvet", for example. Still, when all is said and done, I still rate Argento overall for his early work.

On a footnote, I only wish that Michaele Soavi hadn't had to retire to look after his son, and been given full creative control (i.e. No D Argento mentoring/interfering!) on at least one film. Now that would have been quite something, I reckon.

Re Leone - the "Dollars" film have been over-lionised a bit, but me still like 'em. Mind you, their visual look inspired Fields Of The Nephilim. Argh!!!