View Single Post
Old 11.20.2016, 06:13 PM   #19936
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh yeah profundity he doesn't do

he does "mental" thrillers, but those don't ask any kind of big questions

the best of batman for me was the spectacle too. i didn't think it a great "film." but it was an okay "movie."

what's the name... inception? it was definitely fun in a sort of matrix kind of way but the first matrix was more philosophically interesting behind all the fancy action.

haven't seen interstellar but i probably should. also i think i missed the prestige-- or maybe i saw it and forgot it. hmmm... i should look into that too.

I think you're right to some extent about the profundity. At least with some of his films. But I think The Dark Knight is a legitimately great film that actually does grapple with some big questions and ideas. Inception might be less philosophical than people like to think, and more of a just-plain-good visually and thematically stunning action flick, but The Dark Knight is -- in my opinion -- smarter and more philosophically poignant than The Matrix by leaps and bounds, in addition to being an all around better movie.

See Interstellar though. That one kinda made me start to think of him in Spielberg terms. There are some pretty big questions and ideas in that one. And there's a nice family relationship that grounds all the environmental commentary and moral and ethical scientific conundrums. It's also visually quite incredible, and makes for yet another reliably memorable Nolan "experience." It's also quite sad. I think you might like it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|