View Single Post
Old 05.01.2010, 04:20 PM   #41
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't know much about literature departments but I suspect they've gone the same way as most other departments in the humanities: using whatever topic they're meant to be discussing as a vehicle for trying to justify some vague political point. So novels, films, paintings merely become reproducers of 'ideology'. This is a valuable point but one that really only takes about an hour to explain. The fact that so many departments stretch it over three years is just padding to the point of absurdity.

Yes, precisely. It's this surplus stuff, which, when taught, seems to suggest a kind disgust with novel, film etc (but maybe is hiding their envy of creative people). How do people's interest in a subject develop into that and pretty much only that? I find that this sort of way of only working with those types of concerns can become disrespectful and sometimes offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
And anyone not studying either psychoanalysis, psychiatry or philosophy should ever be expected to read Lacan.

I don't think anyone should bother reading Lacan!
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|