View Single Post
Old 01.18.2010, 12:43 AM   #2309
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
biggest criticisms of Goodbye 20th Century:

No mention of Thurston's stint playing in Even Worse even though it details all their other early bands at the time and addresses his growing interest in taking part in the hardcore scene at the time. Pretty silly it would overlook his playing in a hardcore (scene at least) band.

No mention of Steve Albini or Big Black despite the obvious alliance with SY in the early days.

No mention of Bruce Pavitt either, and Sub Pop is only mentioned way after they were an established marketing force mega-indie. Pavitt put "Kill Yr. Idols" on Sub Pop 100 the very first compilation he released on vinyl, included SY tracks on several of his cassettes before that, and constantly hyped them in his fanzine and column in the Rocket in Seattle.

In general it seems as if when the author couldn't talk to somebody he just didn't mention them in the book, except perhaps in passing, and then often out of sequence from when they actually interacted with or impacted the band.

I swear some of the timeframes are just wrong. It says they were playing Washing Machine songs on tour with R.E.M. and at Lollapalooza before the album was actually released, but I know I was playing it on my radio show regularly when I went to both those gigs in George, Washington that summer. May have just been the advance cassette that DGC sent KAOS, but the point is, college radio was already playing the songs.

Definitely the book is better and meatier than Confusion is Next was, but it is in no way comprehensive or spot on accurate.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|