View Single Post
Old 05.12.2016, 08:33 PM   #1927
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I tend to listen to all their albums as they drop. But I never end up sticking with them. I'm a pretty casual "fan" - more I find THEM more interesting than the music itself.

HEY, to go back to the Madlib talk for a second, I think maybe I worded things wrong. What I was trying to say was that I'd be so much more excited if he'd announce a new YNQ-related album than another hip hop collab. He hasn't dropped one since High Jazz which was part of the Medicine Show series. It's been a longtime. And as fans of Yesterdays Universe & High Jazz may know from the liner notes, there are a lot of unreleased YNQ albums out there. Heck, the Jahari Massama Unit album w/ Keriem Riggins was announced wayyyy back and still hasn't dropped.

For the record, MY first exposure to Lib was via Blue Note's compilation, The New Groove.

I liked Government Plates and the Money Store best. Some of their music kind of sickens me after repeated listens, but I can't say I'm not sort of into that. Pharmakon does the same thing to me, as do a number of noise and drone artists whose work I love.

But I agree that Death Grips are often more interesting conceptually than they are musically. But I hear this new one features guest appearances from Tera Melos, so I'm gonna have to hear it at some point.

And they have been responsible for some seriously badass tide shifts in the periphery of pop music. For example, skme of the best moments on Yeezus were clearly influenced by them. Same with Run the Jewels and the last Shabazz Palaces album.

As for Madlib... I am pretty much down with anything that has anything to do with him. I'd love to hear more YNQ, more Strong Arm Steady, etc. He's just a master craftsman. He's almost on a level with Dilla at this point.... but, of course, not quite.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|