View Single Post
Old 09.02.2007, 06:37 AM   #80
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
They didn't do anything for me for a long time either. Even back in their day when I first bought their albums. But don't you have those albums you pull out and go, eh, I'll give em another go, and suddenly, it's like wham! you connect to something? That's the way it's been with the Doors. I took out the first LP last fall just for a lark, and I had that Wow! moment, went on to try Strange Days, and it was like, what was I thinking all this time, I love this stuff.

Put them away for a while, took them out again recently, and they still hold up for me.

Yes, The Doors are great enough that when you listen to them, one gets the inevitable feeling of a somewhat irrational notion that hey, this might be one of the best bands ever. A lot of great bands do that when you listen to some of their best material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
How the hell did this thread get resurrected? This is from last summer!

Because swa(y) decided he'd try to stir-up some brownie points with fellow Doors-haters earlier today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
the doors were okaye as a band. but i dont buy into this jim morrison being thas amazing poet shit. the dude was an piece of shit.

Was Jim an out-of-control alcoholic and drug-addict during his last few years? Yeah, he was. Where's all your threads about Rimbaud being an asshole? Just wondering.
Look, I haven't listened to The Doors regularly in many, many years, but Morrison has astoundingly good influences and he's easily one of the finest lyricists in rock history that displays a poetic bent.

There are no longer "dancers", the possessed.
The cleavage of men into actor and spectators
is the central fact of our time. We are obsessed
with heroes who live for us and whom we punish.
If all the radios and televisions were deprived
of their sources of power, all books and paintings
burned tomorrow, all shows and cinemas closed,
all the arts of vicarious existence...
We are content with the "given" in sensation's
quest. We have been metamorphosised from a mad
body dancing on hillsides to a pair of eyes
staring in the dark. - Morrison, The Lords (excerpt)

Note that there's no such word as "metamorphosised" or, for that matter, "metamorphosized."
Ignorance rears its ugly head (as always, and) even in the midst of such a fine passage as the quoted one.
Written properly, it's not "have been metamorphosised," it's "have metamorphosed."
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|