View Single Post
Old 06.11.2010, 05:04 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Still hate Audition. It just drags on and on. It's a film that's all about the payoff. But I'm not a big fan of films like that. I like films that can be watched over and over. Occasionally, a decent atmosphere reminds me of fondly of Kiyoshi Kurosawa (who does atmospheric horror like no one's business), but yeah. Audition blows in the context of some of his better stuff. I did rewatch Gozu though, and while it's a go nowhere mess of a film that people call "Lynch-like!" because there's a television with static in it... it does have some good scenes.

Miike is a huge hack, but he has some decent stuff. I think he's a good director, sometimes great, usually competent. Obviously, if you're into "Asian films", he's a horrible place to start, and sadly, the only director most people have bothered checking out (maybe not so much anymore -- that market is dead! Miike doesn't even seem to have fans anymore!). Try Kitano, Sogo Ishii, Seijin Suzuki, Shuji Terayama, Toshio Matsumoto, or anyone from my original list...! Japanese underground/experimental/obscure cinema is probably the best stuff ever, stuff like JUNK FOOD and NOISY REQUIEM are some of my all time favs... unfortunately a lot of the better stuff is still a bit hard to find, even on the internet...

I've been checking out the newer Miike stuff, like Crows Zero and Scars of the Sun. Not a huge fan, though his Yatterman reimagining was alright. Since I'm a wee bit older and wiser, I can say that my original "Top 10" list was right on, except I think his defining work is either the long version of Agitator, The Black Society Trilogy as a whole, or Bird People of China. But I still don't know where to place those in a context of a "top 10" right now, so I'll stick by my original ruling. I'd probably put BIG BANG LOVE JUVENILE A somewhere in the top 10 too.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|