View Single Post
Old 01.18.2016, 02:00 AM   #30
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Massive understatement, but you're right. Early SY records ("early" is a bit relative with them, but let's assume you're talking about the '80s material) are more exciting to me on the umpteen-thousandth listen than most of the best new records are the first time around.

But I feel that way about Goo as well. And large chunks of both Dirty and Experimental Jet Set. And certainly everything from Washing Mashine - Nurse. (Love Ripped and the Eternal too, but in a different way).

But I digress... you're right. Sonic Youth still sounds so amazing that I only have a trivial curiosity about who might be the "new" version of them. Mostly because there is no new SY. If, at any time, there was, it probably would have been a role shared by Unwound, early '90s Pavement, late '90s Modest Mouse and early 00's Radiohead. But no single band has ever come close to being a full-fledged "new/next" Sonic Youth.

Yes! In fact, I listened to it while driving through a blizzard just ― an hour ago. And I listened to it twice throughout the week.

It still sounds more powerful and relevant and glorious than virtually any other record I can think of. It still manages to push more serotonin ("Teen Age Riot"), dopamine ("Cross the Breeze"), and adrenaline ("Eliminator Jr") into my neruoreceptors than any pharmaceutical.

I'm more of a Sister kind of guy too. Always have been. Mostly because Sister represents a band in transition, from art-rock infused hardcore and schizo-punk to something far more seamless and unique. Sister shows a becoming the best band in the world. With Daydream, they were already there. They were in top form, and the record works like one uninterrupted epic thought. There's no growth taking place before your eyes on Daydream Nation. So even thought it's a perfect album, I have always leaned toward Sister as my "favorite."

But you're totally right. Daydream Nation is still, nearly three decades after its release, every bit as gripping, intelligent and seminal as it ever was. It also puts most music from just about any genre to shame.
As a matter of fact I have never search new Sonic Youths. I think the starter of the thread wants SY-influenced new bands, but anyway the most interesting music to me has always been music that has at least something I have never heard before. Donīt want any hate posts for this, but I havenīt ever liked Pavement just for the reason it sounds too SY to me ( Yes , itīs not SY copy, I think the ones I`ve heard are much more melodic songs than most of the sy songs, but anyway I havenīt heard anything interesting from that band). Those examples I put have something in common with SY, but I think they also have something personal in their stuff (I donīt still quite understand why some music hit to me and some not, well I think at the moment the music that is Beefheart influenced is most likely hit to me, but anyway I donīt like math rock at all).

I claim I still am at least almost as excited about some new records as I was earlier in my life. It is very rare these days, but it happens. Of course I think you just canīt have as strong emotions in the age of 40 as the age of 10 or 20, but I claim I have much stronger emotions than most of the 40 years old people. But I donīt believe I can be excited about totally new music, it has to has some elements from the music I listened in the age of 10-30.

About DDN, it really havenīt ever been the biggest SY record to me. I really love it of course, but I donīt think it is even near the greatness of Sister and EVOL. Itīs quite the same level as Goo & Dirty to me. Of course I loved it quite immediately then when I heard it (it was my second SY-album after Goo).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|