View Single Post
Old 01.17.2016, 12:29 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas
Thanks everyone for all suggestions! I will check out all the bands you mentioned.

Some of you seem to be skeptical about alternative rock music (2 guitars, bass, drums etc.) and instead talk about electronic music and hip hop. That's ok with me, but then, who are the Sonic Youth of the electronic and hip hop scene then?

Dude. I have no idea how to answer that. Like, for real. I'm not even sure where Sonic Youth stands in their own world/worlds. I tend to think of them as the Fab Four of the underground, but I'm not exactly objective.

Sonic Youth is, honestly, a pretty big name in music even if they never had a platinum album or top ten single. They made critically acclaimed music for three consecutive decades and kind of influenced everyone who followed in their general genre. So if you're going by that, I suppose a case could be made for Aphex Twin as the Sonic Youth of electronic music. But that just kinda feels like Severain talking about Severian shit.

A case could also be made for Autechre, Fridge (way underrated but seminal as hell... Wouldn't have Four Tet without this group), DJ spooky, Black Dog...

It's a super weird thing to try to pin down. Sonic Youth themselves had a tremendous influence on electronic and ambient music. But they were never futurists.

As for hip-hop, that's even more difficult. As a massive hip-hop nerd and obsessive follower of pretty much all the different variations of the genre, I have no quick and easy answer to the question, "who's the Sonic Youth of hip-hop?" I'm not even sure how to start addressing that question.

Easiest answer is probably Public Enemy. But it's not like that's breaking news or anything.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|