View Single Post
Old 07.27.2009, 06:50 PM   #7
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
YES!!!!!

It is my favorite of all SY records, or any record ever for that sake. It has a certain undiscribable mood unlike any other SY record. And over ten years after I first heard it I still hear new things EVERY single time. Despite it being the record I´ve heard the most times of any. There is so much going on. So much details like in ATL & NYCG&F (maybe Nurse & Murray Street too to a lesser extent.) that I dont find in their new records. Rather Ripped & The Eternal is so flat in comparison.
Im not gonna hear new things every time in RR in ten years.

Layers upon layers. A much bigger spectrum of guitar noises than nowadays too. Thats why the start of Antenna seems a bit cheap, because they come from this stuff. So many of the sounds were "How the fuck do they do that?" upon first(and later) hearing(s).
The wahwah solo/noise/freakout on Becuz is somewhere inbetween pure noise and a melodic solo. I love the way the noise is much more incorporated in the music than "here comes the noise part" type thinking.
The noise parts are so well thought out! Not just the "we have to put a noise part in here because thats what people expect" but the noise is there because it serves the music and vice versa.

The crossfade in the Washing Machine song "here´s a quarter go put in the washing machine..." and then it evolves into the fuzz harmonics riff, wow. Goosebumps.

I could go on and on.. The end of Junkies Promise. The weird intro solos on Saucer-Like and No Queen Blues. There is so much that is not present in their music anymore. I really miss how the music and noise worked together . Sonically this record is so rich!

I have to respect what they do nowadays, but I feel what they do now is just a tiny percent of something that is/was/should be/could be so much bigger.
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|