Thread: Religion thread
View Single Post
Old 11.03.2017, 06:49 PM   #48
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
again, you are making the false assumption that when one religion is described the person is referring to ALL religions.

I define a religion as a set of dogmatic beliefs, codified by a select group of "chosen" pendejos, created to "help" humans worship a "god" of some sort.

Buddhism, in it's initial form, was not and is still not, a religion. Philosophies about how to live life are NOT religion. Confucianism is not a religion. Veganism is not a religion.

You’re saying this like it’s a fact, but it’s not. I’ve heard compelling arguments from Philosophy profs that American baseball can be viewed as a religion.

The strict definition of religion is constantly in flux because of how diverse religions are. Atheism is a religion, some would argue, because it has a group component and contains a central theory about how creation did/didn’t come to be.

Buddhism is philosophical, but you’re batty if you think it’s not a religion by a majority of the basic criteria for what a religion is. Not saying it definitely is, just saying it’s dumb to say it definitely isn’t.

Scientology is a religion based on bad science fiction novels. The definition for what a religion can be is far broader than you’re implying.

Science can be reasonably viewed as a religion for fuck’s sake.

Anyway, I think you’re picking and choosing here. Writing off all religions while kind of half-defending others by saying they’re not religions. I’m not sure what kind of logical fallacy this is, but if it isn’t one then I think you’ve invented a new one.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|