View Single Post
Old 09.26.2017, 09:56 AM   #2048
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I still listen to Drum's Not Dead from time to time. That album was killer.

Oh, you are not kidding my friend.

That’s actually their best, in my opinion. It’s when all those wild and disparate ideas from their first couple of albums and EPS really came together with some razor sharp focus. It’s the zenith of Liars, and it honestly filled me with hope about their future. I listened to that thing CONSTANTLY when it came out, and it blew me away then as it does now when I deign to put it on (which isn’t often enough). Truly one of the great albums of that decade.

The self-titled album had some insanely good moments too, as did “Sisterworld,” but “WIXIW” didn’t quite hit its mark, and “Mess” was strong for maybe 2 listens. It was around the time of “Mess” that I realized this was no longer a band I was committed to. I don’t even care about that new thing that’s out — that album that’s just Angus Andrew, doing whatever and wearing a dress.

Where did it go wrong? Well, maybe they should have ended it with “Drum’s Not Dead,” because it was all downhill from there even though the next two albums had plenty of sweet spots. But really I think “WIXIW” was the death knell. They tried to zig-left and rebuild as an entirely electronic-type thing, a la the over-referenced Radiohead/Kid A pivot. But while “WIXIW” was OK, I think the fact that it wasn’t great or revelatory should have been a sign to the band, saying, “Hey, fucking do something else!”

Oh well.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|