View Single Post
Old 02.28.2010, 11:38 AM   #76
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, you can whistle feedback. You can whistle Merzbow.

Knox, I'm a musician, I know what a "melody" is.

Just sayin.. Just because Xiu Xiu uses melodies on a few songs doesn't make them a "very very melodic band".

I am a musician too, so what? It doesn't mean we can't have different opinions/definitions, it doesn't mean you know any more than anyone else. Here are some I found:A melody (from Greek μελῳδία - melōidía, "singing, chanting"), also tune, voice, or line, is a linear succession of musical tones which is perceived as a single entity. In its most literal sense, a melody is a sequence of pitchesdurations, while, more figuratively, the term has occasionally been extended to include successions of other musical elements such as tone color. and
Melodies often consist of one or more musical phrases or motifs, and are usually repeated throughout a song or piece in various forms.
There's a shitload of repetition of musical phrases and/or motifs, there are choruses and verses, althought I think you are referring to their attempts to balance that with noise and unexpected/"unpleasant" arrangement.

If by "melody" you mean what you find pleasant and catchy, that does vary a lot from person to person, their cultural background, familiarity to what they are hearing and so on. Those definitions are hardly easy enough for anyone to claim they know what melody is.

Personally, I don't need to be in the mindset to find "order in chaos" to easily identify this melodic phrases when listening to Xiu Xiu, as they usually provide verse/chorus/verse structures.

In fact, what I think is so difficult about listening to them at first is that it is disrupting how these singing melodic lines are constantly broken or drowned by random and atonal sounds.

but anyway THIS IS A LAME DISCUSSION.
because it's only happening because you can't accept that I find it melodic and catchy and dancable, which I do.
the structure of what he is SINGING is melodic most of the time.

now, you can please whistle merzbow and put the file up for us to listen.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|