View Single Post
Old 02.06.2015, 11:57 PM   #66
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
really unsure about this one...richard has most certainly jumped the shark. nothing worthwhile about it on any level, ordinarily his 'innovative' (relative term) projects have been lacking in anything identifiably new but are nevertheless enjoyable, whereas I can't help but think this is the most torpid thing he's ever done.

Yeah, I felt that way about everything that wasn't either SAW/II or the RDJ album for a while. Then I stopped. Then I poo-poo'd everything that didn't have the immediately iconic feel of Windowlicker and Come to Daddy. Then I stopped. Then I thought Drukqs was a mess, and wished it had never been made. Then I thought Drukqs was the only thing that mattered. Once each respective era of material was digested, it felt like a crucial part of the Aphex Twin narrative. And I love it all, even though I know each project will probably be my least favorite for a bit.

Long story short, being adaptable and trusting, and letting new shit grow on you is a prerequisite for listening to brilliant musicians.

How can you say CCAI2 lacks originality? Have you encountered so many recordings of hit-anything-robots smacking the holy percussive hell out of god knows what that the whole concept just feels tired and pointless to you?

Come aaaaaahn!

And SYRO most certainly did need to happen. Thank god it did.

Now I'm interested in what you have to say about StrepSipster. I keep hearing that the Bandcamp mateial is "obviously" fake and that the Soundcloud shit is "obviously" real, but I can't say any of it actually seems that "obvious" to me. I will withhold judgment until official confirmation from RDJ himself gives me reason to decide. But I'll keep listening regardless.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|