View Single Post
Old 06.26.2011, 02:19 AM   #14938
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
On paper I should love Dangerous Games but like almost everyone else, I also hate it. And it is mostly because of Madonna (who's been dreadful in everything since DSS). More generally though, It feels like a Casavettes movie but where the intensity of something like Faces is simply replaced by a bunch of unlikeable people acting hysterically. I'm generally a Ferrara fan but there's something inbuilt into all his films where they teeter on the edge of feeling like a group therapy session and in some cases, like DG, they fall over that edge. He made The Blackout a few years later that tackled similar themes but was far better, I thought. I tend to think he made that film because he wanted to try and correct the mistakes of DG.

Saw this at a dilapitated art house theater when it was released in '94 and loved it. Ended up being one of my favs of that particular year. Probably because the sadistic mood of the film fit the grungy theater so well, but Ferrera's confused cross cutting between real life and film and how the performances affect their actual lives was well done. Watched it about a year ago and it definitely held up well.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|