View Single Post
Old 01.29.2009, 03:25 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Background Info:
So I got into SY back in 2002, I had heard Evol, Sister and Goo and loved them all. It was a whole new kind of excitement discovering a band this different. I happened to pick up a magazine and noticed SY had a new album coming out Murray St, so i bought it and was severely disappointed when i heard it. Where were the noise assaults on my ears leading me off the cliff of a mountain. I dug a few songs on there that had prominent noise parts like "rain on tin", "karen revisted" and "radical adults" but overall the album was too mellow for me. The album collected dust and was only played when i needed something soothing to sleep to.

Flash forward 6 years later, I play it again and am absolutely knocked back by it. Is this the same album? My ears originally went directly for the most obvious sound and was completely ignorant of the noisy chaos lying right underneath the more calm guitars. The raw whirling distorted buildup on 'the empty page", the ghostly feedback in the bkgrd of "radical adults", the slumber like lunges of distortion in "dsiconnection notice and the drone noise outro to "Karen revisted" has only gotten better. I totally understand the comparisons to DDN (which i had before scoffed at) considering all the wild changeups like the epic part of "Rain on Tin".That whole song now sounds like a modern sy classic like "pattern recognition" or "the unmade bed". Its great to get a whole new appreciation for an album like this. This might even be better than Sonic Nurse, I'll have to play that one again next.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|