View Single Post
Old 12.18.2006, 10:09 AM   #31
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
My mother passed away last October and my father works in an area of Baghdad known as "The Triangle of Death," so the meaning of Christmas has changed a bit for me these past two years. I don't consider myself a Christian, so Christmas is more of a family tradition in my eyes than a celebration of something specific, and without much of a family the holiday has lost a lot of its meaning. That said, I'm still not a "Grinch." I enjoy buying people presents, if for no other reason than to know that my money is going toward something that isn't going to intoxicate me. I like that a lot of my friends are a little nicer and a little more forgiving of myself and others this time of year. I like seeing pointsettias in shop windows and wreaths and red ribbons hanging from 300 year old oak trees in my town. I like seeing the smile on children's faces when Santa "Father Christmas" Clause waves and tosses them a wink from the steps of the board of education building. I like trying to guess who's going to tell me "Merry Christmas" and who's going to settle for "Happy Holidays." It's nice...