View Single Post
Old 10.07.2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
It is often hard to define genres of music, especially alternative rock. What is it an alternative to? Mainstream, top 40 rock? But I don't think it matters when the phrase "alternative rock" was first used. Sometimes, we don't come up with names for things until after those things are established. The phrase "global warming" might not have existed until recently. But does that mean it wasn't happening until someone came up with a name for it?

I would say that Sister, just like VU in the late 60's, fits my definition of alternative rock. It sounded nothing like the average person's concept of rock music back then and probably still doesn't. Imagine what would have happened if someone had tried playing Sister at a high school dance.