View Single Post
Old 04.28.2009, 03:36 PM   #123
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I obviously need to let all of this sink in and listen to it a lot more, but my super-quick first impressions:

1. Sacred Trickster- An ok song, awesome opening to the song. Fitting as a quick opener.
2. Anti-Orgasm- This has some awesome fucking noise that we have not heard in quite some time. And have not heard in quite this way. Definitely one of the better tracks, it has a bit of everything. But not a stand-out track... and I mean that in the best possible way, as it implies an air of similar quality throughout the rest of the album.
3. Leaky Lifeboat- Beautiful opening. On the montage preview I was not at all excited for this. And it's awesome. Some amazing guitar sounds. New guitar sounds for them too.
4. Antenna- Sunny opening. Vocals not so hot, for me anyway. The vocals are similar to what they've done post-NYC Ghosts + Flowers. This is the only song that didn't excite me on first listen, and it was by no means bad. For all I know I could end up getting way into it next time around.
5. What We Know- Awesome opening. This album has lots of strong openings. My favorite Lee song in quite some time.
6. Calming the Snake- Fits into the album at this point nicely. I don't think it's lacking in any way.
7. Poison Arrow- Lou Reed-like vocal delivery from Thurston. Apparently lots of you thought this too. Ha ha.
8. Malibu Gas Station- Opening melody reminds me of the snow levels in Donkey Kong Country. Recent 'Daydream Nation' touring definitely influenced this one.
9. Thunderclap for Bobby Pyn- Some 'Nurse' sounds in a little bit of the guitar work, but not much. A good song.
10. No Way- This sounds way better recorded than when it did live almost a year ago whe I first heard it. Some nice rocking in this one. Some of the vocals sound like recent album vocal stylings, but inoffensively so.
11. Walkin Blue- The opening to this gave me a boner. Parts sound reminiscent to past Lee songs? Or am I just remembering the montage? But definitely awesome.
12. Massage the History- Acoustic guitar in Sonic Youth songs is weird to me. Otherwise enjoyable.

In sum:

All of the songs are rocking, but largely in a slightly relaxed way. The rock is there, the noise is there, the melodies are there. And it feels comfortable. Aside from the opening track, the tempo is pretty moderate. Ideas don't overstay their welcome. And I like this. Unlike the last two albums, I don't feel a nostalgia of songs past in the music. This album has its own awesome distinct feel, which 'Nurse' and 'Rather Ripped' were lacking. This 'feel,' which all of my favorite Sonic Youth albums have in spades, will become more clear as more time passes.

As for comparisons to other albums:

A Thousand Leaves- I don't hear it. There are a few meandering melodies, but not nearly as meandering, mellow, or expansive. I wouldn't compare the two at all.

Nurse- Nope. Aside from a couple of riffs here and there, I don't see this as Nurse 2.0 in the slightest. None of that jammy bullshit. Sure, 'Massage the History' is in the same vein as 'I Love You Golden Blue,' but 'I Love You Golden Blue' is nothing like the rest of 'Nurse.' This is completely a distinct album. At best, you can place it in a timeline, but that's it.

Goo- Uh, where? This comparison is confounding to me.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|