View Single Post
Old 04.07.2006, 12:20 PM   #67
Feelyat
little trouble girl

Feelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud ofFeelyat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Well, they should have. I think there's a pretty good case to be made for the irrelevance of what the cover looks like.

You should start a thread about the irrelevance of cover art in one of the Non-Sonics forums. (Did you? I haven't checked.) I'd be more than happy to discuss this sort of thing. Because on the one hand, in the digital/iTunes/iPod/download age, covers and liner notes are fast becoming a thing of the past. But then on the other hand, there have been some really monumentally cultural defining record covers in the last fifty years. You know what I mean? Like it or not, the cover to Sgt. Pepper's defines the hell out of that record. You might not even agree with me, but either way you slice it, that record cover was something of a statement. The same can also be said of the cover of Nevermind, whether intentional or not.

Anyway, I do think it's worth discussing. And when I say "discuss" I mean "discuss," not "argue petty semantics."

In regards to this Rather Ripped cover -- I still don't like it all that much, but maybe after I hear the music it'll make more sense. Maybe it is a statement of sorts. None of their record covers look like that, you know? The eye is drawn to nothing except the words "Sonic," "Youth," "Rather," and "Ripped." Then there's that bit of suggested french wallpapering surrounding the black gap and the "ER" and "ED" in the corner.

Here's a thought: is the "SONIC YOUTH" actually a manipulation of the spraypainted stenciled "SONIC YOUTH" label they put on their tour equipment?
Feelyat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|