View Single Post
Old 12.01.2007, 11:59 AM   #15
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Wow, sun city girl, that list is COMPLETELY different than mine, haha.

I think ice cream is the perfect collection of everything the captain does well in one place. It's just amazing, it melds some of his weirdest and most complex material with his most straightfroward. Excellent.

On the other hand, I think trout mask is remembered more for being the album that defined his sound and changed a lot of people's perceptions of music -- which it did, and I will gladly defend it for that. But it sure is a chore to listen to, it's way too long, the songs aren't as strong as the songs on albums like "Lick my Decals Off, Baby" and the production is TERRIBLE. Zappa should have been shot for the production on that album.

Just my opinion.

Also, have you all heard the original Bat Chain Puller? It's fucking awesome! It has my favorite beefheart song in an instrumental form ("Run Paint Run"), some unreleased songs, and "1010th Day of the Human Totem Pole" without horns and with another guitar.

Actually, there is something I'm looking for.. does anyone have the fast n bulbous tribute? The one that sonic youth's cover of Electricity originally came from?

yeah, well, for me trout mask replica is the greatest lp ever made & it's perfect... icecream for crow isn't bad, i just haven't listened to it as much as the others. i have dust-sucker cd, which at least has some tracks from the original bat chain puller... i also have that tribute lp, but i mainly bought it because of the SY-track and i don't remember much about the other tracks.

sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|