View Single Post
Old 06.23.2015, 10:28 PM   #46917
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
You're probably right. I'm just wondering how much jazz can change before it stops being "jazz." A purely academic musing. And as long as old-timers accept new strides forward, my opinion doesn't matter. I mean, I don't live for jazz like some do, and if they're cool with genre blending, who cares what a casual listener like me thinks?

No man, your opinion is more important than the "old timers", and the jazz heads. Those guys are already sold. In fact, a lot of them are such goddamn purists that they probably would write me off as a moron for suggesting that the future of jazz may be in instrumental hip-hop/beat, techno/house and ear bleeding noise improv.

Many of the jazz dudes I know are so into it that they literally don't listen to anything else, except maybe the odd chamber music piece, or maybe My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.

But my point is that it should actually matter less how they feel about it. If jazz is going to grow, it should probably start to freak them out and make them uncomfortable. It's the "casual listeners", the people who love and appreciate jazz but are also open to other sounds and styles, who are going to be able to recognize the brilliance in a backward, upside down and progressive new iteration of the genre, whenever that happens to come along.

Also I consider myself a totally casual listener. I've loved jazz all my life, and it means a lot to me, but I only throw it on once in a while.

So I think you may be undervaluing your own opinion here.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|