View Single Post
Old 06.23.2015, 10:24 AM   #46913
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
It's good isn't it? Burnt problem is that it's being touted as something revolutionary, something that proves there is still a vital and virile national "movement" returning the genre to the cutting edge of all music.

And y'know, that's just kind of a sad fantasy. On the upside, there was so much incredible music made during the jazz renaissance that occurred between the the '50s, '60s & '70s that it wasn't possible for every variation on the genre to fully explored or appreciated. This is one area where the whole deluxe reissue trend has really been essential. Just last year I was exposed to The Belew by Hailu Mergia and the Walias for the first time via a beautifully packaged remaster. This got me into Ethiopian jazz and funk from the '60s and '70s, which was great, because I had gone a couple of years without adding any new artists to my jazz collection.

The fact that so much of the jazz music of the '60s and beyond was SO ahead of its time is also helpful, since the rest of music has made greater strides toward catching up with what once sounded like noise to pop audiences.

But you're right, and yeah, it is sad.

I feel a bit silly for saying this but as i was reading your post I was thinking "I'm gonna address the acceptance of jazz into hip-hop, beat, and electronic music!!!" until you mentioned your feelings on the matter.

But honestly, I think that the future of jazz innovation might just be connected with the evolution of instrumental hip-hop, techno and improvisational noise. I'm not talking about obvious cases like Madlib necessarily, but Jazz does need to progress and evolve, and it's experimental by nature. I think trip-hop was definitely a nod to jazz, and I was extremely excited when Supersilent were in the prime of their career (1 - 6). I do actually believe that with the right balance of live instrumentation, sampling and creative beat & production techniques, Jazz is capable of continuing its grand tradition of experimentation and exploration.

Footwork has a very jazz like element to it in my opinion. But, yeah, it's not gonna be the Roots who re-energize jazz. That's for damn sure.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|