View Single Post
Old 04.25.2006, 10:16 AM   #16
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm not a pearl jam fan, i love vitology and like yield and vs and to some extent (because it's totally burnt out) ten. i haven't really heard no code but the songs i've heard from it are really good.

but i just wanted to point something out. pearl jam HAVE sold out. they now play overpriced shows sold by ticketmaster, which was something they were dead set against in the middle of their career. and i know you can justify it by saying that it's not in their control and that they can't play the places they need to play without ticketmaster but they are PEARL FUCKING JAM, they have 30 trillion fans and make millions of dollars and if they really wanted, they could do things differently.

so it's not a bad thing or a good thing, it's just a thing and face it. they have sold out

I would have to disagree with this and think that it has to be looked at from a different perspective.

The idea of a large scale production is far more difficult to keep "uncorporate" than a small scale production. I'm more upset when Sonic Youth uses clear channel venues than when Pearl Jam uses Ticketbastard because Sonic Youth would have no problem doing a full scale tour that avoids those particular venues. Pearl Jam had the ambition to fight ticketmaster, but did not have the forethought that the fans would be the ones to suffer. When they did that, everything completely went to shit; they almost broke up; their fans bitched because they could only play about ten shows at the height of their popularity.

I was far more horrified (though completely delighted at the same time--they're my other favorite band...) when Dino Jr. came back around on tour with the original lineup. Everyone pretty much confessed it was for the money, and though J played with more intensity than when I saw him in 94, he was going through the motions.

A "sell out" (generic term) is a band that willingly compromises their ideals to make a profit. In that situation the fans lose. Pearl Jam has always kept the fans in mind, and even though I'm intimidated by their "machine", they at least have enthusiasm.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|