View Single Post
Old 05.20.2015, 03:01 PM   #105
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yes i agree that lyrically its near ATL in power and indeed ATL is possibly Sonic Youth best lyrics of any record. It is also definitely a new beginning as it was the first new record after getting all their gear stolen here in LA in 1999.. the structure, style, and sound of this record reflects how it was written, on acoustic guitars. I think getting their shit stolen was a blessing in disguise as it forced the band into a new, more "traditional" direction.

They started writing new material on acoustic guitars which forces you to be more conventional, traditional, and musical in approach. The wild experimental tunings were replaced by more near standard tunings. They also built on a lot of open chord tunings similar but more elaborate than on ATL.. indeed i often play all the music from 98-2004 perios on my solo acoustic when jamming on the porch.

I think this transition is why its my fav sonic youth era

you jam SY on the porch too. that's awesome!!!
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|