Thread: Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 12.16.2013, 01:17 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
No way man. Comparing Beatles to Nirvana is like comparing Picasso to Banksy.

The beauty of opinions is they're like assholes, everybody is one ..err has one

Maybe I've been sipping the Nirvana kool-aid too much, maybe you've been sipping the Beatles kool-aid too much, possibly I've just been sipping to much of Ken Kessey's kool-aid, either way, clearly we just disagree.

I myself never personally heard the early Beatles "sound" in the 1960s bands. Yeah, there is the Beatles image, and yeah, the Beatles were definitely the door opening pioneers for the rise of more artistically sincere "pop music" than was the corporate slop of the 1950s/early 1960s "big industry" system of music production and distribution.

In MY OPINION, the Beatles didn't musically inspire shit. I just don't hear "the Beatles" in those bands. However they did indeed inspire the rise of scenes and garage bands who were motivated by the Beatles' success to start bands and play shitty clubs themselves. THIS IS HUGE by the way, and I by no means intend to minimize the cultural and musical impact of the Beatles. However, I just don't think they were like Ottis Redding or Chuck Berry actually inspiring the sound of the 1960s, just the scene and image. Bands were motivated to do their thing, and their thing sounded different than the Beatles did. IN FACT, to me this seems all the more obvious by the fact the late 1960s and early 1970s Beatles themselves began to try to emmulate the sound of other bands! The Beatles began to sound like other bands, not bands sounding like the Beatles.

How is Nirvana NOT like this? How many countless bands formed or doubled down their efforts in Nirvana's immense wake? Nirvana is almost parallel to the Beatles in this regard, for the sheer EXPLOSION of garage and club bands who burst out after the fact. In the 1960s the Beatles sparked this wave, in the 1990s clearly it was Nirvana. Further, I dare say that Nirvana is perhaps MORE musically influential than the Beatles in the fact that so many countless bands quite literally sounded like Nirvana. If anything, the entirety of the 1990s IS Nirvana. In the 1960s people wanted too look like the Beatles, in the 1990s people wanted to look like Nirvana. In the 1960s people wanted to have bands like the Beatles (not necessarily sound like the Beatles, just play in bands), in the 1990s people wanted to have bands like Nirvana.

Its seems cut and dry!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|