Thread: Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 12.16.2013, 10:59 AM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think the Beatles influence was 100 times bigger in 1967 than anything Nirvana did.

The Beatles forced, through their own creativity, every other big player in rock music at the time to reconsider how they did things, to write their OWN SONGS, instead of releasing cover albums with one or two originals. They forced the Beach boys, the Stones, The Who, etc etc to up their game, their creative game.

Not that I'd say Nirvana was exactly as influential as the Beatles, but I think they are in the same range. Further, I think you're over selling the "creativity" of those early Beatles records. They were hardly even original, they were a couple of white guys playing "black music" in a white way, no different than what a hundred other bands were doing from 1956-1964. Yes, they wrote their own material, but the instrumentation itself wasn't exactly groundbreaking or original, it sounded like all the other music on the radio.

Further, I don't think that a lot of the great 60s/70s bands who were admittedly and openly influenced by the Beatles were influenced by the Beatles sound and music so much as just influenced by the Beatles. Jerry Garcia always said he was inspired by the Beatles, but not musically, he always said seeing the Beatles doing it inspired the San Francisco scene to say, "Wait, we can do that, our bands should be doing that." They didn't mean sound like the Beatles, they were just implying playing shows and trying to get big like the Beatles. Interestingly, looking at the 1990s I'd dare say there were MORE bands that sounded like Nirvana on the radio/TV than there were band that sounded like the early Beatles in the mid-1960s..

Quote:

Nirvana was nowhere near that level of influence. If anything Nirvana more negatively influenced music than positively. There are hundreds of genius bands that will tell you to a person they owe their existence to having heard/seen the beatles.

Yes, and again, I don't think it was the instrumentation, and I say this as a musician, I think they were influenced by the image, marketing, and popularity of the Beatles. Perhaps even thought to themselves, "Wait, we're better than these guys! We should be doing this." I don't think the Beatles climbed into any siginificant musical influence until the 1970s when they themselves began to actually get creative and explorative.

Quote:

Because of Nirvana we got Creed, Nickleback, and watered down metal pretending to be "grunge."

Yes, and because of the Beatles we also got a shitload of crappy surfbands and Smothers Brothers concerts and like Jimi said, "I kinda feel like playing, I'm sick of checkin out these catz with their blue caps."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|