View Single Post
Old 11.08.2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
True, but I dunno, man - I think Pollard & Co.'s got the edge over SY in this regard:

http://www.gbvdb.com/artist.asp?arti... Artists=true

YOW!

I'm a fairly accomplished sy completist, and I've never really considered it very difficult. At least, I can imagine a future wherein I own everything that features the full band. Throwing solo/side projects in there complicates things, and I'm certainly not talking about owning every fucking bootleg spanning 30 years of live shows... But barring those two exceptions, I'm fairly sure I'll have the whole mess by the time I die.

Pollard and GBV is a beast unto itself: I am not even AWARE of at least half of the shit with the Guided by Pollard stamp on it. Also, I can only handle so much Pollard. The Lips and Sy are both completely different bands from one release to the next, and both bands run the gamut of genres ranging from hardcore to free jazz. Sonic youth more so than the Lips of course, but both bands have a lot of hidden goodies and surprises, peppered across their entire careers. Pollard has been the most prolific of them all, but if you've heard one handful of 12 albums and EPs, you've pretty much heard the next 12-50, making it basically pointless for anyone other than the most diehard Pollardheads to even consider aspiring to.

I am in awe of anyone who has that goal in mind. It makes my dream of completing that PhD while moonlighting as Editor, staff writer and founding member of the revolutionary new print/e-zine that puts Pitchfork out of business and brings integrity back to the field of music writing seem downright fucking practical!!!

I mean no disrespect to GBV, though. I have loved them for a vast majority of my life, and when I go through a GbV phase, I go through it hard.
I just feel like I'm pretty ok with the fact that I ow a few records from each era of their existence and couple Pollard projects. I have all the "classic" titles (Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Isolation Drills, UTBUTS, Do the Collapse, etc.) some of the not so classic titles (King Shit..., Instant Prince Whippet, a couple of the albums from the last 2 years) and a respectable single/ep collection.

They're just not an all time top (insert arbitrary round number here) band for me, so I feel no need to stress about the gaping holes in my collection.

The Lips and Sonic Youth are different. They live in the heavens with the VU, Aphex Twin, Unwound, Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 and a few others. It's Just a taste thing. So no offense.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|