View Single Post
Old 07.17.2017, 01:09 PM   #1386
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
the sidekick thing, I dunno. You're right. That could be a one-step-forward-two-steps-back kind of thing. And I don't rightly know what to think right now. As long as they don't make it a female Doctor with a female sidekick a la Rose, for whom things get ever so slightly saucy. That would be just too much, and would push me past my limit. I have some issues with the homosexual tokenism that is now pretty common on TV. Often, these token characters just reinforce really crap stereotypes despite their purported intent of shattering glass ceilings.

(If you've seen the mandated 1 gay/1 lesbian per show hijinx of shows like Arrow, Flash, Supergiel and Legends of Tomorrow, you'll know what I mean. Those gay caricatures in capes do nothing to leave stereotypes behind.)

Blah!

I'd rather, instead of them finding a woman to play the Doctor, just because, that they'd have held out for the right woman, say Tilda Swinton or Helena Bonham Carter. Either of those would've really brought something new to the role, besides just their vaginas. The other problem with going with Jodie Whittaker is if she doesn't work out it'll only make it harder for there to be another woman Dr in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the title "genesis of the daleks" souns just about right to start

gonna guess "ark in space" refers to the tardis so that might be a good intro

alright! gonna go fishing in the pond that is netflix. thanks!

Ark in Space is more just a one off great SF story that anyone could enjoy without any knowledge of bigger themes within the series. The Ark itself doesn't refer to the Tardis.

For getting into those big themes I'd recommend Genesis as a way into the Daleks. It also introduces Davros.
The really vital (and most complex) one, though, is The Master: the Dr's arch enemy. As a way into 'him' I'd recommend The Deadly Assassin (also from the Baker era).

Watch those two and you're pretty much good to go. Although in reality, you could watch any story in any order and not exactly feel lost.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|