Thread: Nine Inch Nails
View Single Post
Old 07.26.2016, 05:44 PM   #46
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
NIN are integral part of my musical development, for sure. I was late jr. high when Downward Spiral came out. They were one of those bands where the older brother of a friend said at the time, "Oh, you are liking that album? Check out some of the earlier work..." Broken kicked my ass in it's intensity, and the bass line of Sanctified alone grabbed me hook, line, and sinker (still one of the sexiest simple lines ever). I dug them instantly after hearing those albums, which was pretty much also my introduction to anything "electronic". They also opened the path to many other things like Ministry and Massive Attack and such.

March of the Pigs blew my mind at that age. I was just starting to "get into" music, was starting guitar, in the school orchestra, etc... And I remember seeing something on TV with him explaining the 7/8 time signature, and how his philosophy behind that was a constant feeling of being propelled forward by lacking that resolving beat, juxtaposed with the mellow 4/4 parts. Blew my young little mind that is for sure. (so much so I still actually remember it). The one-take video of a live performance really got me off too. I really thought that was totally badass. I think it was the very first "official release" video showing an actual live song performance I ever saw, now that I think of it.

I was just a little too young for mom to let me go to the NIN/Manson/Jim Rose tour, but all the older brothers could not stop talking about it and how awesome it was afterwards, ha.

I do think they are one of those bands that people find easy to write off though, which I have always found a little sad. Sure, his lyrics can get a little whiny and emo at times, but musically I have always been impressed.

The Fragile is brilliance. A very, very, very overlooked album, imo.

I have been lucky enough to have seen them for Fragile, With Teeth, and The Slip tours, and I will say HANDS DOWN, that those NIN shows have been some of the most impressive visual experiences I have ever witnessed.

I am kind of jealous of the idea of going back and experiencing the earlier stuff today with an unfamiliar ear. I would imagine it actually holds up quite well...
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|