View Single Post
Old 09.20.2019, 07:40 AM   #291
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
totally, I think it’s just a very cynical era we’re living in and it’s super pervasive, honestly I’m not sure that there’s all that many ways to get away from it

Yeah, I feel this.
And it’s not just hip-hop. There’s culture trolling in whatever passes for passable rock music in the mainstream, too (The 1975 for some reason?) and it’s all a bit much.
I mean, I’m a pretty cynical motherfucker too, and all my musical favorites have some degree of iconoclasm permanently lodged in their identities (Lou Reed to RDJ to SY to whoever), but being provocative and iconoclastic seems to, in the late 2010s, mean essentially being an edgelord button-pusher with no portion of authenticity to their “act.”

Like JPEG or Tyler or Lana Del Rey or whatever. So much of it is just “let me see how much I can fuck with people and how many horrible things I can get away with saying before people call me out”
And if you call them out, watch out, because “kids today” will eat your fucking face. Because it is now socially unacceptable in a lot of circles to take anything seriously.

I mean, it’s hard for an older fuck like me to reconcile my dislike of this stuff with my appreciation and respect for punk and the punk spirit. But this is different terrain, really.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|