View Single Post
Old 09.06.2009, 02:47 PM   #70
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
This is why I cannot advocate any kind of feminist arguments. Unfortunately, the argument of "you don't have a vagina so you have no authority" has effectively silenced me on the issue. And unlike men who call themselves "feminists" out of principle (sway being an example), I think engaging on the inner-discourse of feminism is an essential element of being a feminist. This is kind of the same problem I've had with race theory, even though I advocated philosophy that was considered too radical for some members of racial minorities.

It's a very tricky one. I don't believe that a lack of vagina precludes a person entirely from a dialogue on feminism, but it's certainly a difficulty. I personally abide by matrix models of gender/ sex/ sexuality and emphasise the role of self-identity.

I think it's potentially very dangerous to compare feminism to 'race theory'. Since when was whatever ethnicity you believe yourself to be (again, allowing for self-identity) not a part of 'race'?

The thing for me is that while I might be one of those ghastly men - worst of all, a white one - it's counter-productive to assume that just because I have (massive) protruding genitals I'm thereby unable to empathise with another's position. I can't think like a woman in general but then no individual woman can speak for women in general and be entirely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|