View Single Post
Old 02.12.2008, 01:39 AM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteinmen
Ok, so i went for drive with my friend yesterday (in his car), and because I was tired of constantly listening to his tiny CD collection, (either Garbage, Muse or Skunk Anansie) I thought I'd bring a SY album with me (DDN) anyway, we pretty got through the whole album and by the time it got to The Wonder he said that all the songs had the same guitar riffs and same formula, which was a bit of an insult because DDN is amazing and has huge amounts of variety and different tunings, and also reminded me of the reason why over the past 3/4 of a year that I have been listening and discovering SY I've never bothered to introduce them to friends.
So I thought I'd make a compilation of their singles to prove that the band has a huge amount of variety to their music and sound, I chose singles because I suppose in away they are more accessible than the album tracks.

These are the tracks, in the following order that I chose:

1. Teenage Riot
2. Bull In The Heather
3. Sunday (edit)
4. Dirty Boots (edit)
5. Little Trouble Girl
6. Youth Against Fascism
7. Incinerate
8. Superstar
9. Kim Gordon and the Arthur Doyles Hand Cream
10. Sugar Kane (edit)
11. The Diamond Sea (Little Trouble Girl Single Edit)
12. Drunken Butterfly
13. Death Valley '69
14. Starpower (edit)
15. Disappearer
16. 100%
17. Kool Thing
18. Nevermind (What Was It Anyway)

Anyway, I am just wondering what you all think of the tracklisting, do you think it's suitable for a noob? and shows a lot of variety?

I think that if he was able to listen to "The Sprawl" and "Total Trash" in one sitting and think they have the same guitar riffs or formula, you have a hopeless case to begin with (and never mind that he likes those bastions of variety in songwriting Garbage!)

It's a shame that in order to try to convert him you feel compelled to put so many edits on your list, as what's edited out usually is what makes a song sound like Sonic Youth and not any number of indie rock bands that sound like SY with the brilliant noise cut out.

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick about this, but there is a reason Sonic Youth aren't in, and will never be in, the Top 40 or even on "commercial alternative" stations - their music is better than that crap and they will never appeal to the lowest common denominator. Which is good.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|