View Single Post
Old 03.24.2016, 06:41 PM   #56
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

He is not and never was supposed to be a god, just an alien being whose home world was destroyed and he was the last one around.

I have to disagree with you there. He's been a Christ analogue since his inception. Just like Harry Potter. Just like King fucking Arthur. But more so. I encourage you to read Our Hero by Tom DeHaven and (if for some reason you haven't) The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay if you doubt the depth of Superman's spiritual origins.

He's more fascinating as a god figure anyway. Take that away from him and what do you have? Fucking ... like... Luke Cage or some shit. Just a tough dude, with no world building mythology surrounding him. In other words, pretty much every Marvel character.

Also, the question of how the planet would (realistically) react to a person like that is an important one, and I believe it's the secret to keeping Superman relevant. We'd fear and hate him. Times Do change. It's not 1938 anymore. Superman either adapts and changes with it, or he stays in the past. Not an option.

Everyone need to get over their gripes about what a character "should" be. These films are just reflective of one era... Sometimes just one year or one weekend. They pass. There will be others. The character is what it is, and it's different at different times. I think Man of Steel maintained the essence of Superman very well without being a silly little joke.

Starting to worry about BvS though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|