View Single Post
Old 06.20.2006, 04:52 PM   #68
cbeattie
empty page

cbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the roughcbeattie is a jewel in the rough
Boys and girls, do we all need to be reminded that SY are a live and kicking, fully functioning, modern day as I live and breathe band who continue to write new material and produce new albums?

This is not a reunion tour. This is not a greatest hits tour. SY have, fortunately, never split up. SY have, fortunately, never stopped writing new songs. They release new records with new songs and these songs need to be played live and heard live, and personally, I can't wait to hear the new songs played out.

It goes without saying that I would be delighted to hear a whole hour of classic SY tunes from classic SY albums, but that's not what SY are about. I want to hear these new songs live, because no matter what my relationship is with the music as I listen to it on a CD or on a record, it changes completely when I hear it live, or see the band perform it live. I have never been to a boring SY gig, and I'm sure nobody who has attended any of the recent tour dates would say they have been to a boring SY gig. Sure, we all love the old classics, but we all love SY because they keep on keepin' on.

Personally, I'm very excited about seeing what they're going to do with this material live, how it's going to sound, how it's going to feel.

Shaking Hell and Expressway To Yr Skull? Two of the first SY songs I ever heard. I think Shaking Hell may have been the first as it featured on that documentary about post-punk no wave New York noise bands, including SY, and I've never looked back since.

Neither have SY, and that's why people should stop moaning about the fact that they're not going to hear the same songs that the band have been playing for over twenty years. They're going to hear new songs with a new energy and new potential.

So get over yourselves.

cbeattie
cbeattie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|