View Single Post
Old 02.27.2012, 03:25 PM   #74
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
My favorites are Let it Be and (believe it or not) Pleased to Meet me and Sorry, Ma. I know they lost a whole shit-ton of their edge at the end there, but PTMM has some absolutely top notch pop songs. "Alex Chilton"...

But I have to admit that I sometimes got through phases of thinking the Replacements were don't belong in the category history has placed them. They're remembered alongside Husker Du and the Pixies, but while those bands influenced experimental pop and punk, the Replacements influenced a herd of faceless '90s "alternative pop" bands like Goo Goo Dolls.

But then I come back to my senses and remember that "Seen Your Video" is defiant rock and roll in perfect form. They WERE punk, even if Third Eye Blind and Matchbox 20 cite them as influences.

In any case, I'd say every album has its high points, and many have very low points, but they were still a great great band.

I also have been in love with Westerberg solo and Grandpaboy since Singles came out. I'm dating myself here, but it's true.

Westerberg's released some crap in his time, but I totally know what you mean. I was hooked on "Waiting for Somebody" just like everyone else when that movie came out. Now I think the lyrics are of questionable quality, and I believe that movie was more of a mockery of grunge than anything else. A movie that was supposed to reflect the Seattle scene with Smashing Pumpkins and Westerberg songs on the soundtrack?

I do enjoy Paul's Stereo/Mono record, and think that some of the songs on the mono disc are 'Mats worthy. Others are complete sentimental shit, but still, "High Time" sounds like it could be a road-demo from the Tim tour.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|