Thread: RIP Adam West
View Single Post
Old 06.19.2017, 10:43 AM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I agree that moral greyness has become something of a titillating fetish but I see Trump's rise as representing a backlash to that: offering black and white solutions to what those occupying the political centre-ground would probably consider inherently grey problems (and which therefore require inherently grey solutions). If Trump is the equivalent of any comic character it's probably Judge Dredd, for whom any kind of moral uncertainty is an absolute anathema.

Awww man don't do the Judge like that!

Judge Dredd is and always has been a satire. I think the character gets a bad wrap because people think he's RoboCop/Dirty Harry, and while he kind of is, it's missing the point of the series as a whole to take the "I am the law!" stuff at face value.

Judge Dredd is like 60-79% political satire at all times.

I mean, it's a British comic about American authoritarianism, written by folks who clearly think the entire system they're writing about it absurd. Judge Dredd himself is never a glowing example of humanity, but he's also not a mindless follower. He battles the system. He questions it. Especially as time goes on and he gets older (kinda cool that he gets older... he's gotta be 65 by now, because the comics take place in real time).

Anyhoo, if Trump has a comic book analogue, it's Lex Luthor. Trump is Luther without the genius IQ. Read some Superman... witness Lex running for and eventually winning the presidency despite being a known sceezbag by the entire world. His name is on everything, he's a bully and a child, he's rich as fuck, and arrogant to no end.

Trump = Luthor... not Joseph Dredd
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|