View Single Post
Old 07.17.2010, 01:37 PM   #78
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
first of all i i doubt that my knowledge in music theory surpasses yours.
and i agree with you. i have recommended a leonard meyer article here before that explains it pretty well. from what i can remember he differentiates between univesal musical laws, to restrictions of a certian era, strategies of a certain sub era a composers personal dialect and intra opus style.
so basically bach, mozart and wagner all functioned within the same rules, although each one had different strategies of writing within that set of rules and thus each had their own dialect. and each piece of music had its own inner set of rules. so basically that means that there have been very few complete musical revolutions, not to mention the few, as glice stated that happened in rock which actually affected other music.

so i guess the question of pushing music foward is not the person who does the revolution (like scheonberg) but the person who pushes the music as far as it can go within each set of rules (wagner)
or something like that.

and to reiterate another of glice's points, there is no sound, almost, that comes out of nowhere. i have yet to hear a band or composer that sound like nothing that was ever heard before them. and in order that i dont start another boring acedemic rant i will simply state- intertextuality.
and i will also state that i agree with genteel death, who i think wrote that furxasha's kobold moon is a brilliant album.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|