View Single Post
Old 03.27.2015, 11:40 PM   #46352
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Listening to the new GY!BE

So far, I'm feeling a little torn. On one hand I've always fancied myself a diehard fan of the group, and just having another album feels like kind of a blessing.

But on the other hand...... I'm not sure this is going to be what people want. He first track culminates in some very fine jamming; stuff that sounds like it could have been on one of the more traditionally musical SYR releases. It has an almkst improvisational feel to it, and it almost feels new.

But I'm not really sure how I feel about the ambient deconstruction that makes up so much of the middle section. There's a place for ambient noise, of course. But I think people want GY!BE to bring them into the eye of a hurricane. They want epic, important music that sends a message a serves a purpose.

I need to listen more of course, but the first impression wasn't jawdropping. I think they need to be DONE with the tried and true 4-song album model. There's something missing ... this band needs to get their groove back.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|