View Single Post
Old 12.10.2010, 04:38 AM   #21
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Plenty of great musicians have scored products that are less-than-desireable to most of their fanbases -- hell, Sonic Youth did that Starbucks thing that deeply offended certain people, apparently -- but I truly think it's the coolest thing in the world that O'Rourke can lend a song to a Wal-Mart ad, win a Grammy for production, and then do that limited edition noise LP afterwards (kinda reminds me of my hero Giuseppe Andrews, who made some of the most fucked up films and music ever, but has been in Independance Day, American History X, etc)... Ultimately, he's doing what he loves in life, and he's making a living at it, and that's kinda the American dream... plus, the idea of "selling out" and all that garbage, that indie elitist mentality, has always been kinda silly... I'd rather a musician I like make a LOT of money and continue putting out albums, than some Vampire Weekend shitfest cliche churning out another friendly pop song... good music should be everywhere. Kudos to whoever at Wal-Mart is a Jim O'Rourke fan and put in the motion to get this ad produced.

...But again, I must reiterate the question I asked earlier, something I do genuinely find strange: does wal-mart even sell O'Rourke albums?! Who knows -- maybe they'll start now?! I do know that I did buy Murray Street there when it came out many years ago; it was like $9 brand new. Plus, they have Yankee Hotel Foxtrot there last I checked... so there's definitely albums with O'Rourke on them in some capacity.

I like it. Repped.